The Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO) will offer roughly $3,000,000 in grants for qualifying organizations to expand their capacity by adding weatherized, temporary outdoor facilities.
Grants will be awarded to Michigan-based businesses, organizations and nonprofits with 50 or fewer full-time employees. Eligible organizations are limited to the following:
- Restaurants and/or bars
- Banquet centers
- Retail stores
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Local governments that provide common space for businesses
- Commercial property owners who provide common space for tenants
The grant application opens on Wednesday, November 18, at noon. Funds will be awarded based on a first-come, first-served basis. At least ten grants will be given to each of Michigan’s prosperity regions.
Projects that would qualify for the grant include:
- Temporary structures to cover outdoor seating
- Portable heaters
- Outdoor furniture and tableware
- Outdoor cooking equipment
- Fencing; dividers such as planters, hangings, or Plexiglas panels
- Sanitizing supplies and equipment
- Security devices
- Electronic menu access
- Upgrades to increase capacity for carryout and delivery service
Visit the SBA website to learn more about the application process, review requirements and submit an application.