Eric Sowatsky, CPA, CGMA, NSSA, PFS
CPAs & Advisors
Eric Sowatsky is a Principal in the Saginaw office and leads the Saginaw office’s tax department. He is the Agribusiness Services Group leader and manages sharing of industry and technical knowledge among team members firm-wide. He is a member of the firm’s Tax Services Group and is a personal financial specialist assisting with personal financial planning and succession planning. He joined Yeo & Yeo in 2004.
- Leader of Firm Agribusiness Team. Manages sharing of industry and technical knowledge among team members firm-wide. Assists various farm and agribusiness operations with business and tax planning issues. Provides in-depth analysis of farm operations with an eye on transition planning to the next generation.
- Certified Grain Accountant. Received specialized training in mark-to-market accounting for grain elevators and understanding basis issues.
- Collateral field exams – manages firm-wide services to lending institutions providing review of collateral for the agribusiness, manufacturing and automotive industries.
- National Social Security Advisor – certified in analysis of claiming strategies for social security benefits.
- Strategic tax planning for businesses and individuals.
- Personal financial specialist – Assists clients with developing a personal financial plan that works in tandem with their tax planning. Assist with retirement planning and succession planning issues.
- Provides tax and accounting services to real estate managers and investment groups. Focus on tax planning and compliance.
Professional Certifications and Education
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- National Social Security Advisor (NSSA)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- Mark-to-Market Grain Accounting Certification
- Walsh College of Accountancy and Business – M.S.P.A. (2003)
- Michigan State University – B.B.S. (1999)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Michigan Agribusiness Association – Grain Committee
- Farm Financial Standards Council – Member
- Maier & Associates newsletter – Should I Donate Stock to Charity?, July 2008
- Leading Edge magazine – Ten Steps to Reduce Overhead and Cut Waste in Your Business, Winter 2011
- Questions to Ask Your Accountant – presented at Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2014
- Understanding the Impact of Production Costs on Your Farm Customers – presented at the Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2016
- The Next Level of Customer Service: Helping Farmers Manage Their Business – presented at the Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2016
- Individual Tax Training presented to Yeo & Yeo staff, 2006-2010
- Corporate Tax Training presented to Yeo & Yeo staff, 2011-2013
- Tax Level II Training – Partnerships, presented to Yeo & Yeo staff, 2014
- Land Rents and Land Prices – presented at the Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2017
- No Mystery: Meeting With Family About Estate Planning, published in the firm’s AgriAdvisor eNewsletter, April 2017
- Boosting Your Bottom Line With Current Tax Opportunities – presented at the Achieve Farm Financial Health seminar, September 2017
- How Will Tax Reform Affect Agribusiness? – published by the MICPA and republished by other outlets, January 2018
- Tax Reform: Impact on Charitable Giving – live television broadcast on “The Follow Up,” Delta College Public Broadcasting WDCQ-TV, January 2018
- How Will Tax Reform Affect Agribusiness? – presented at Stewart Peterson seminar, March 2018
- WSGW Farm Service 790 radio show – guest speaker on farm tax issues, February 2018 to present
- Choosing Between a Calendar Year and a Fiscal Year, September 2018
- Launching a Business? How to Treat Start-up Expenses on Your Tax Return, June 2020
- Bethlehem Lutheran School – Soccer and Basketball Coach
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church – Past Treasurer
- Bethlehem Lutheran School – Past Athletic Director
- Great Lakes Bay Economic Club – Past President
- Leadership Bay County Alumni
- Rotary Club – Saginaw Sunrise – Past Treasurer
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (CFP Board) owns the CFP® certification mark, the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification mark, and the CFP® certification mark (with plaque design) logo in the United States, which it authorizes use of by individuals who successfully complete the CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements.
Investment advisory services are offered through Avantax Planning PartnersSM. Commission-based securities products are offered through Avantax Investment ServicesSM, Member FINRA, SIPC. Insurance services offered through licensed agents of Avantax Planning Partners. 3200 Olympus Blvd., Suite 100, Dallas, TX 75019. The Avantax entities are independent of and unrelated to Yeo & Yeo Wealth Management. Check me out on BrokerCheck®.