Eric Sowatsky, CPA, CGMA, NSSA
CPAs & Business Consultants
Eric Sowatsky is a Principal in the Saginaw office and leads the Saginaw office’s tax department. He is the Agribusiness Services Group leader and a member of the firm’s Tax Services Group. He joined Yeo & Yeo in 2004.
- Leader of Firm Agribusiness Team. Manages sharing of industry and technical knowledge among team members firm-wide. Assists various farm and agribusiness operations with business and tax planning issues.
- Partner with Nationwide’s Land As Your Legacy succession planning program for farmers. Provides in-depth analysis of farm operations with an eye on transition planning to the next generation.
- Certified Grain Accountant. Received specialized training in mark-to-market accounting for grain elevators and understanding basis issues.
- Collateral field exams – manages firm-wide services to lending institutions providing review of collateral for the agribusiness, manufacturing and automotive industries.
- National Social Security Advisor – certified in analysis of claiming strategies for social security benefits.
- Strategic tax planning for businesses and individuals
Professional Certifications and Education
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- National Social Security Advisor (NSSA)
- Mark-to-Market Grain Accounting Certification
- Walsh College of Accountancy and Business – M.S.P.A. (2003)
- Michigan State University – B.B.S. (1999)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Michigan Agribusiness Association – Grain Committee
- Farm Financial Standards Council – Member
- Maier & Associates newsletter – Should I Donate Stock to Charity?, July 2008
- Leading Edge magazine – Ten Steps to Reduce Overhead and Cut Waste in Your Business, Winter 2011
- Questions to Ask Your Accountant – presented at Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2014
- Understanding the Impact of Production Costs on Your Farm Customers – presented at the Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2016
- The Next Level of Customer Service: Helping Farmers Manage Their Business – presented at the Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2016
- Individual Tax Training presented to Yeo & Yeo staff, 2006-2010
- Corporate Tax Training presented to Yeo & Yeo staff, 2011-2013
- Tax Level II Training – Partnerships, presented to Yeo & Yeo staff, 2014
- Land Rents and Land Prices – presented at the Michigan Agribusiness Association Winter Conference, January 2017
- No Mystery: Meeting With Family About Estate Planning, published in the firm’s AgriAdvisor eNewsletter, April 2017
- Boosting Your Bottom Line With Current Tax Opportunities – presented at the Achieve Farm Financial Health seminar, September 2017
- How Will Tax Reform Affect Agribusiness? – published by the MICPA and republished by other outlets, January 2018
- Tax Reform: Impact on Charitable Giving – live television broadcast on “The Follow Up,” Delta College Public Broadcasting WDCQ-TV, January 2018
- How Will Tax Reform Affect Agribusiness? – presented at Stewart Peterson seminar, March 2018
- WSGW Farm Service 790 radio show – guest speaker on farm tax issues, February 2018 to present
- Choosing Between a Calendar Year and a Fiscal Year, September 2018
- Launching a Business? How to Treat Start-up Expenses on Your Tax Return, June 2020
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church – Treasurer
- Bethlehem Lutheran School – Athletic Director
- Great Lakes Bay Economic Club – Past President
- Leadership Bay County Alumni
- Rotary Club – Saginaw Sunrise – Past Treasurer